370 Lancaster Avenue
Haverford, PA 19041

The Haverford College Libraries support the educational mission of the College with an unrelenting commitment to excellence—for the institution, the students, the faculty, and the staff—through our collections, instruction, and services.

Haverford College Libraries aim to create descriptions that are inclusive and respectful to those who are represented in and use our collections. Read our full statement. If you encounter language in catalog records, digital collections, or finding aids that you find harmful or offensive, please email

Browsing as Anonymous (not verified)
No items found


The Aimwell School was founded in 1796 by Anne Parrish (1760-1800) and was run originally out of Parrish's own home on North 2nd Street in Philadelphia as an educational opportunity for poor girls. The school's mission was to provide a "proper" education to young girls while charging no more than a small regular fee for the usage of books. No tuition was charged and the school ran entirely on donations. Parrish and her coworkers worked towards the same mission, forming together as the Society for the Free Instruction of Female Children, under the management of the Society of Friends. In 1859, the Society for the Free Instruction of Female Children was incorporated and the name was then changed to the Aimwell School Association. The school was open until 1923; the corporation dissolved in 1935. The funds were transferred to a Friends fiduciary group.

The Aimwell School Records (1796-1935) consist primarily of minute book records and various documents related to the operation and administration of the Aimwell School. 



98 items

Aimwell School records

Alice Whittier Jones (1873-1960) was a Quaker educator who spent much of her adult life in Israel and Palestine. She taught at the Girls' School at the Friends Ramallah Mission from 1906 to 1907, before becoming principal in 1907. Jones returned to the United States in 1914, and remained there through 1918, during which time the Ramallah School was closed because of World War I. In 1918, Jones volunteered with the Red Cross to go to Palestine and was put in charge of a large orphanage in Jerusalem. Jones, along with her friend Katie Gabriel, returned to Palestine in 1919, restored the badly damaged school, and resumed her position as principal of the school. 

Her diary entries discuss the history of the Friends School in Ramallah, Palestine, religious reflection and discussions concerning the divides between Muslims, Jews, and Christians in Palestine, and discussions concerning the politics within Palestine. Jones also provides descriptions of the children she teaches at the school.


1 item

Alice W. Jones Diary

The Bethany Mission for Colored People was founded in the mid-1850s and, beginning in 1869, was located at Brandywine Street near 16th Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. According to its constitution, the Mission was to be non-denominational with the objective of "moral and religious education and general elevation of the Colored people by means of a Mission Sabbath School." The Sunday School welcomed students of all ages, from young children to the elderly. Attendance at the Mission peaked in the 1870s with enrollment close to 500 pupils. The Mission began a slow decline starting in the 1880s which continued until its close in the 1930s, due to the rise of Black churches and increased public education for African Americans.


1 item

Bethany Mission for Colored People Records

This collection consists primarily of the correspondence of Beulah Hurley Waring (1886-1988) and relates principally to her relief work after World War I in Europe and Russia under the auspices of several Friends' group. Beulah Hurley, a Quaker, attended Columbia Teachers College and taught at State Teachers College in Newark. She taught at a Friends School in Philadelphia prior to working for various relief organizations during and after World War I, especially with the child feeding program. She applied for a position to work as a nurse's aid in Chalon, France in 1917. She was sent to France in 1918 and became the head of the section to provide food and shelter for victims of the war. In 1921, she was among the first American woman to enter Russia under the American Relief Administration, though members of the AFSC (Nancy Babb, Miriam West and Murray Kenworthy) entered with her, and, indeed, Anna Haines had come in 1917. Hurley, along with Miriam West, carried the entire responsibility for relief of 200,000 starving people. The area in which she worked, Buzuluk, in the heart of the Russian steppe, was demarcated as the Quaker service area. Hurley was made Field Director in 1922. In 1922, Hurley developed typhoid fever. In March 1922, Robert Dunn, a journalist, whose writings also appear in this collection, arrived to take over publicity work. Harry and Rebecca Timbres also arrived that spring. Beulah was made field director in May, after Murray Kenworthy left to return to the States. She married Alston Waring in 1928, with whom she had children.

The correspondence begins in 1918 when Hurley headed to France to provide relief in war-torn areas, such as Sermaize. Her job consisted of assistance in providing food aid to the starving population under the direction of Friends' War Victims Relief Committee. In 1919, Hurley moved around Europe, including to Austria and Germany, where she was put in charge of equipment, now working for the American Friends Service Committee. In 1920, she made note of the Russo-Polish conflict and continued her description of her duties and a conference she attends. In 1921, she continued doing relief work in Poland, and received her papers for work to continue in Russia. In 1922, already posted in Russia, in Sorochinskoye in Buzuluk district, she kept a day book containing precise numbers of people assisted and food, medicine and transportation. 


328 items

Beulah Hurley Waring papers

A selection of photographs from the Bryn Mawr-Haverford College News. Access to these photographs is limited to members of the Tri-College community.

Bryn Mawr College logoHaverford

No items found

The Haverford Women's Lacrosse Team, 2005

The Charles Roberts autograph letter collection contains autographs collected by Charles Roberts, an 1864 Haverford graduate. Roberts' collection includes letters and signatures from politicians and statesmen, authors, scientists, philosophers, and businesspeople. Included in the collection is a completed set of autographs of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.


22 items

Phillis Wheatley signature


Other Participating Institutions